Thursday 15 October 2015

5 BENEFITS OF RELIGION

Asalamualaykum Warahmatullah,

As a Muslim who has been raised in the religion I can only speak from this perspective, however, I wouldn't say I am closed minded enough to not know what it must be like to not have a religion and to believe in different things. 

Growing up in a largely non-Muslim area where multi-religions and cultures wasn't prevalent, I could probably say there was a period where I strayed and was lost with regards to what I believe in. 

However, Alhamdullilah I know Islam is the one for me. 

Here are some of the main things about religion that I feel are beneficial to a person:

1. Sense of Belonging: One of the main things I love about religion is that I feel like I belong to a community larger than my immediate friends and family. Being acknowledged in the street by a fellow Muslimah who passes over a smile of mutual understanding fills the heart with joy. Even with the small Muslim community back at home is lovely because although its small, its much more intimate allowing us to all get to know each-other individually and act as though they are extended family.

2. Understanding Your Purpose: Some people would say that their purpose in life is to find happiness, others would say its to live life to its fullest, others would say its to be successful and financially stable. Being religious gives you a life purpose that goes beyond this world and onto the next. Some people who are not religious can be apprehensive towards this idea and feel as though after death is being food for animals. However, being religious allows us to feel like what we do in this life will affect the outcome in the afterlife, which leads to us behaving in a way that we feel is morally correct and calms our souls.

3. Lifestyle and Health: As a Muslim, this one is very important. Our bodies are there for us to look after. As though it is a gift given to us to maintain and take care of, meaning we should not purposefully hurt ourselves, or mark ourselves. We need to look after our bodies and health, be it physical or mental. With regards to lifestyle, being religious allows us to choose a path that does not require damaging our own bodies. For example, trying to avoid drinking alcohol or taking drugs. These are all known habits to affect a persons health, and is also a religious teaching that tells us to avoid harmful substances.

4. We Are Not Alone: I believe that my religion teaches me that I am never 100% alone. Allah is always there, watching me, listening to me and so on. There are times where I walk in the street by myself and have a sense of not being safe, and the first thing I think about is the fact that Allah is there, He will protect me and no-one can harm me without Allah allowing them to do so. Not being by yourself doesn't have to mean in danger but can apply to all occasions.

State of Mind: I feel like being religious, or following a religion or belief gives me a reason to do things. For example, it gives you almost an excuse not to follow social norms with regards to fashion if you feel more comfortable in more modest clothing. It allows us to cover up and not become forced or sucked into these ideology that nudity is better. It gives us a purpose to give to charity, whether thats an incentive to do so or not, whether we think of that or not. It grounds us and makes us remember who we are and that we are not strong and we don't have all the rights in the world to inflict harm on others when we please. It gives us a communal sense of, if someone is hurt then we hurt alongside them.

I believe that there is more to religion that what people nowadays see religion as. Someone from the outside cannot fully know what is going one in the inside and so on. Its like the idea that we 'can't judge a book by its cover'.

When you think of that literally you will know that you cannot assume you know what it is like unless you have found something to truly believe in.


No comments: